1) Interview of popular person. Post Pictures & a short video from the interview. Although, publishing the text of the interview will provide more searchable terms, and a more “authoritative” webpage…according to the search algorithms. Using both video and the full-text is a win-win situation for users and the ability to drive search traffic.
2) Linking to another high-profile blogger to get a trackback, and clickthrough traffic. If they censor their trackbacks, just hope they approve yours.
3) Giveaway something for free ( widget, template, tool, ringtone, etc).
4) Create a funny/fun flash game. Perhaps, it’ll go viral. Or, go all out, and create something similar to the Subservient Chicken.
5) Get a celebrity to announce your URL on TV. Perhaps, if one of the Grammy-nominated bands for “Best New Artist” like Paramore win, and announce their new site. I’m sure their fans would love to see all the Paramore pictures and Paramore Videos. Imagine how much traffic that could send! Or, perhaps they plug YOUR site.
6) Contests (If it’s cash, get it underwritten. Or, be creative in your prize). Perhaps, offer your services as the prize?
7) Press Releases. Use best practices to optimize press releases.
9) Writing blog posts that use an Attack hook, Shock hook, or a breaking News hook to drive traffic.
11) Create a facebook app.
12) Speak at a trade show, organization meeting, or local event.