Iâ€™m still trying to figure out the best way to write a post, and set-up the look and feel of my blog.
I tried to find some kind of list of â€œblogging best practices” on the web. But, I really didnâ€™t find too much. All I found, was a ton of stuff on Corporate Blogging best practices. But, I couldnâ€™t find any on personal blog best practices. Most of the personal blogs are freestyle anyway. So, I thought I’d put together a short list. Mainly, for myself.
Thanks to the helpful suggestion from Andy at Marketing Pilgrim, I just added a short bio on myself. He planted the seed in my mind about the whole “best practices” thing. My photo will be coming soon.
Here’s my attempt at compiling a Best Practices for Bloggers.
1) Be dedicated. Try to post on a regular basis. Daily is best.
2) Ping a service like Technorati after each post.
3) Write a short bio so your readers know who you are.
4) Put a picture of yourself on the blog (somewhere) so readers can identify with you.
5) Have a subject theme (Politics, Advertising, your hobby, etc), and stick to it.
6) Write on news, information, and tips in your subject domain.
7) Place links to other blogs/sites in your posts as sources of information or additional references.
8) Make sure to organize articles in Categories that make the most sense.
9) Previous posts can be the main source of revenue for a blog, so a well designed archives section is valuable.
10) Keep Post length consistent as part of your blog theme. Or, or make sure to break up larger Postâ€™s into “bite size” pieces, like a Part 1, and Part 2.
11) Leave comments on other blogs you read, so the other bloggers know who you are, and might add your link to one of their posts.
12) Allow your readers to Contact you somehow.
13) Place a Blogroll, or links section on the sidebar. Try to separate same Subject links, from â€œFriends” and Advertising/Affiliate links.
14) Advertising strategically placed.
15) Use Social Bookmarking buttons to make it easy for readers to submit your post.
Feel free to add to the list:-)