Below is a SEO Strategy Document I have used in the past. I decided to post it after speaking with a respected SEO Consultant who wasn’t sure how to craft the document. I hope this helps other consultants as well. Early this year, I also posted an Example of a PPC Strategy Document.
Feel free to add any comments, constructive criticism, etc.
Beginning of document…
This is the strategy document for the SEO initiative within the overall marketing plan for [CLIENT SITE]. This document will provide detail to the strategy, analysis, and optimization recommendations.
It is our recommendation to use both an SEO & PPC Search campaign. However, to initially begin with the SEO component.
The reason the sequence should be SEO before PPC is because a highly optimized webpage will produce a much more efficient paid search campaign due to a higher quality score, and result in lower CPCâ€™s and higher rankings.
Therefore, this document focuses on the SEO initiative for the [CLIENT SITE] main site, and the [CLIENT SITE] ecommerce site.
We will be optimizing the website in its entirety, with a specific success metric on a keyword/landing page combinations.
– Increase visitor traffic to http://www.[Client Site].com
– To drive people to the specified content on [Client Site].com from pages that we optimize for specific keyword phrases.
– To generate brand awareness for the [CLIENT SITE] brand.
– http://www.[Client Site].com
Target Search Engine:
– Google â€“ We will focus our optimization efforts on Google.
– Google has roughly a 60% market share of search volume.
– Once we have a good ranking on Google, it is more than likely we will have a good ranking on the other engines because the ranking factors are all very similar across the engines.
– $[blank] monthly budget
– After implementation of the recommendations, there is a delay of at least a week or two, before seeing results in the Search Engine.
– The keyword rankings should continue to improve as the strategic inbound links age, and the SEO implementations have been indexed. On average, the optimum effect from the on-site & off-site SEO effort will be experienced in approximately 12 weeks.
– January 1, 2008
Keyword Research and Analysis:
– Determine which keywords will pull in qualified traffic, how many searches do these terms/phrases receive, how should keywords & webpages be used in combination to attract search traffic.
– Analyze Keyword Difficulty
– We will concentrate on optimizing keyword phrases that are mapped to a specific webpage.
– 1 Keyword/Landing page combinations.
– Analysis of the website information architecture and internal linking structure
– Analysis of HTML and page layout
Content Analysis & Creation:
– Amount of Indexable Text Content
– Quality & quantity of visible HTML text on page
– SEO Copywriting
– Additional webpage/content creation if necessary
– Overall Internal link structure
– Internal Link Popularity of Linking Page within Host Site/Domain
– Link Popularity
– Link Popularity of Site in Topical Community
– The link weight/authority of the target website amongst its topical peers in the online world.
– Link Relevance
– Topical Relevance of Inbound Links to Site.
– The subject-specific relationship between the sites/pages linking to the target page and the target keyword.
– Deep Link Analysis
– Deep link percentage is the % of all inbound links that point at pages other than the homepage.
– Increase link popularity
– Implement a Strategic Link Campaign by purchasing links on websites that will provide a high SEO value.
– Duplicate Content
– Content very similar or duplicate of existing content in the index
– Possible duplicate Title/Meta Tags on many Pages
– Robots.txt exclusions
– Generate a baseline Ranking Report for the keywords. The baseline, as the name implies, gives us an indication of where the webpages are ranked on Google, and will be used to measure results.
– Baseline Traffic report for http://www.[Client Site].com
– Baseline Monthly Sales report for http://www.[Client Site].com
– Programming our recommendations. Once all the changes have been completed, we will run an audit to verify that the recommendation was implemented correctly and identify any changes, if needed.
– First page Search Engine rankings.
– Increase in Website Traffic to http://www.[Client Site].com
– Increase Sales volume to http://www.[Client Site].com , and generate a positive ROI.
– [CLIENT SITE] to authorize approval.
– Launch 1/1/08