Client Services Team structures vary based on the scope of the engagement, and the size of an organization/agency. But a Search Marketing team typically contains some allocation of the following roles:
Director of Search â€“ Oversees the SEO Strategy, PPC Strategy and client relationships.
Associate Search Director â€“ Leads the implementation and strategic direction of the search campaigns.
Search (or Campaign) Manager â€“ Oversees day-to-day campaign operations. Key point of contact for the client for day-to-day campaign issues.
Search Account Executive â€“ Manages tactical work on paid search engagements.
SEO Manager â€“ Communicates with client on overall SEO strategy and tactical initiatives.
SEO Analyst â€“ Develops in-depth technical recommendations on SEO programs.
SEO Associate Analyst â€“ Supports the SEO Analyst.
Depending on the size of the organization, one person could have multiple roles in one position. Also, the names may change. Such as a Search Evangelist, Search Engineer, Campaign Manager, Global Director, VP of Search, etc.
A typical job description for an “SEM Campaign Manager” could look like this:
- Experience in online advertising.
- Experience using Microsoft Excel & Powerpoint.
- Solid understanding of Paid Search (Pay-Per-Click campaigns).
- The individual should have excellent research, analytic, presentation and communication skills.
- The ability to conceptualize account structure, and create new campaigns.
- Knowledge of 3rd party conversion tracking & bid management tools (i.e., Omniture, Atlas, Dart, SearchIgnite, etc)
- Execute SEM documents such as: Keyword generation & segmentation, Forecasting, Insertion Orders, Ad copywriting, & Performance Reporting.
- Creating, implementing, tracking, analyzing and optimizing Paid Search campaigns.
- Utilize successful bidding strategies and effective keyword management of pay-per-click search engines including Google Adwords, Yahoo! Search Marketing, MSN Adcenter, Ask.com and others.
- Actively make recommendations and formulate testing structure for keywords, ad copy, landing pages and position to optimize campaign to achieve designated performance objectives.
- Optimization of bid management strategies to acheive performance objectives.
- Manage relationships with search engines.
- Provide detailed analysis and reporting of key metrics with analysis & optimization recommendations.
- Work with cross-functional teams (internal & external).
- Ad copywriting for paid search listings.