How have SEO Services changed over time? How would you define SEO Services today?
When search engines emerged, keyword stuffing the meta data worked to get you high rankings. If you knew how to do that, you could call yourself an SEO Consultant. But, the search engines have gotten more sophisticated over time. The algorithms check for a multitude of criteria these days. Thus, SEO has gotten more complex, with a variety of subsets.
A full-site optimization includes Keyword analysis, Technical Site Analysis, Content Analysis, and Link Development. There are SEO Strategists, SEO Copywriters, Link Builders, Technical SEO specialists, Usability experts, Analytics gurus, and similar types of sub-divisions of optimization.
SEO Services have changed as the Search Engines have changed.
SEO has evolved into a school of thought – Not a Process. But, let’s face it. Practically speaking, there is still an SEO Process. Big agencies want to know process. Clients want to know process. Process helps keep you on track. Process allows you to report on progress. Process provides for a client deliverable. However, there is an overarching school of thought.
Social Media is the new frontier of web traffic. SEO nowadays is more than just optimizing a website. SEO is about driving traffic, and has branched out into Social Media. Sure there are Social Media consultants. But, many people that are well-versed in SEO, have jumped on the social media bandwagon. Many SEO’s are early adopters, and have been on the social networks for a long time, and have built strong profiles. So there ya have it. Another SEO Service being offered. Driving traffic from social networks.
But, lets keep something in mind. SEO has been and is still about driving high quality visitors, from Search Engines, that convert. That’s the difference between a Social Media and SEO Consultant.
SEO Consultants look at a website differently than a web designer or advertising agency. SEO people tend to browse a site while analyzing how search engine friendly the site is, AND how user-friendly it is.
Part of SEO consulting is measuring traffic, share of voice, analyzing clickstreams, path analysis, conversion funnels, A/b Split tests, etc.
SEO Services include:
1) Increasing Keyword Ranking.
2) Increasing the site’s overall visitor traffic
3) Making the site search engine friendly.
4) Driving traffic from the search engines.
5) Driving traffic from social media.
6) Driving traffic from related websites.
7) Driving traffic from all sources, regardless whether they are online or offline (newspaper, radio, magazine ad, WOM, Conferences, billboards, taxi cabs, mass transit, etc.)
8 ) SEO Audit : What are you doing good & what are you doing bad.
9) Competitive Analysis: Providing insight on your competition. What are they doing good & bad, and how to beat your competition.
10) Brand Awareness / Mindshare
11) Measuring and Analyzing web traffic.
12) Reviewing the website usability, and if there are any obstacles to conversions.
13) Reputation Management
SEO is using various strategies & tactics to drive traffic to a website, working with the website ownership/marketing team to ensure traffic converts, and measuring the revenue generated from those efforts which if done correctly, will generate a positive ROI.
Photo Credit: Burning Image